Sunday, August 2, 2015

Achievements

a·chieve·ment

noun
  1. 1.
    a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.
    "to reach this stage is a great achievement"

  2. 2.
    the process or fact of achieving something.
    "the achievement of professional recognition"

Todays prompt in the "101 journal questions for women" book is to list your top 10 achievements. 
This one is very hard for me. For each thing I came up with, a negative thought followed with "but I didn't follow through, or it wasn't because of any great effort on my part" type of thing.  I feel like I have not had to work too terribly hard at things that I have really wanted , I have put them out in the universe and they've happened for me and I have an amazing family that has helped me and given me tons of things/support/love/opportunities to make things happen over the years. 

1. Fostered dozens of children for two years after becoming a foster parent. By far some of the  most difficult and rewarding days for me. 

2. Traveled to Europe while in high school as a High School Student Ambassador with the People to People program. 

3. Coming out as a gay women at age 39 and changing up my entire world as I knew it. 

4. Spending a year being there for my dad as he was dying of cancer. Skyping everyday, making multiple visits to stay with him during his treatments and being there to send him off. Not sure it's what you'd think of as an achievement but it fits in courage and effort and something I'm proud of doing and would do again.   

5. Purchasing a brand new  car all by myself.

6. Growing up.Not just getting older but growing up mentally and emotionally. With the wonderful world of Facebook I see that not all of my school friends have mastered this and seem to be stuck back in high school. Life is so much better when you open your mind, let go of negativity  and stop allowing drama into your space. 

7. Getting the lap band surgery. I had the surgery almost 3 years ago. I am not where I want to be yet as far as weight but I know that I never would have gotten there without it. My health issues were just getting worse and after having both hips replaced my mobility was not at a state to just add exercise and expect to get where I needed to be. 

8. Starting this blog. It's been 5 years now. I don't keep up with it everyday but as much as I love journals, diary's, calendars it's fantastic to look back and see where I was and what I was doing back then. 
August 3 2010   It's amazing when I looked back to that Aug. 3 2010 blog and it was so similar to these 10 achievements..WOW! 

9. On the courage part..I went parasailing. I am afraid of heights and will never go again..but I went. 

10.  An achievement that I'm still working on..is trying  new foods and expanding my pallet. As a child I  was a very picky eater and even into adulthood had very limited "likes" in food. Vegetables were out of the question and now I will eat most or at least try them.  

0 comments: